Thursday 27 September 2012

Les Bouchons Rive Gauche (Robertson Quay) | ThumbsForFood

For a special occasion, like a friend’s birthday, we would indulge ourselves with good food. This time, after hearing much about Les Bouchons, we decided to visit it.





Personally, I prefer grilled steak compared to roasted. I like the grilled charcoal taste that lingers on in the mouth. Les Bouchons’ steaks are grilled which make it a plus factor to try it out. As we had a relatively large group, we made reservations and was seated at the outdoor area. Not bad a location as it was along the quayside and there was some river breeze.

For starters, they have baguette rolls that are unheated and basically quite cold and hard. As we were still waiting for a couple more friends, we decided to give the cold and hard rolls a try. Surprisingly, it tasted quite well despite its unappealing demeanor.


After starters they served a serving of salad to each one of us. It’s a pity that I did not take a photo of it. Well, it was basically greens and some cherry tomato in balsamic vinegar. I prefer balsamic vinegar on my salad compared to Caesar’s dressing, so it went pretty well with me.

After that, for our mains! A point to note is that if you would like to eat while waiting for your other friends to arrive, please inform the waiter or waitress about serving your course first. We were pretty starved waiting for them to prepare our mains as they thought we were waiting for our friend and proceeded with our order only when our friends came. 

They serve an array of sauces to go with the mains! There is horseradish, mayonnaise, mustard and a sauce that had a mixture of herbs that I could not identify.


For our friend who does not eat beef, she ordered the grilled salmon, priced at $32.80.It came with half the plate filled with fries. The salmon was cooked well done and even. However, I feel that the flavour is too bland as there wasn't any sauce or garnishes on it.



Next up, Grilled Ribeye Steak with "Vigneron" Butter priced at  around $38. My friend chose medium well-done as she does not like her steak to be bloody. I felt that there was nothing particularly special about the steak. Flavor-wise, I preferred the grilled steak at Hog's Breath. I felt that it was palatable but nothing very out-of-the-ordinary.



I ordered Sirloin steak as I wanted something different. I guess the steak went well with horseradish. Another good point would be that the serving is rather hearty. I guess personally I would prefer steak that has sauce to go with it as well as sides to complement it.

There were not much choices for mains and since their specialty was steak, I kind of expected the steak to taste different from other steakhouses. Hence, tastewise, I was not particulary satisfied. Also, as we were there to celebrate a friend's birthday, we brought our own cake along. The restaurant imposes a $10++ charge for cake cutting.


Our rating: 6.5/10
Must Tries: Steak

Overall, the price is quite reasonable for steak. However, if you're looking for variety, this would not be a place you would like to visit.

Cheers,
Y

No comments:

Post a Comment